Sunday 26 January 2014

NYR 2014 Update

So, it's been a few weeks, and by now most people have ditched their New Year's Resolutions. I thought it would be a good time to check in on the progress of mine (or lack of), while I have a moment to sit down.

1. Take more pictures! Nope. I have taken a few with my phone, but have not pulled out either camera since Christmas!

2. Take more "me" time. Yes. I have been taking some me time, thought I still feel guilty about it. I have enjoyed a few bubble baths with facial masks and magazines.

3. Lose weight. 2013 saw a weight loss of 40lbs! I feel great, but still have a ways to go! Another 50lbs or so. Well, this will be a work in progress. So far I think I have lost what I gained over Christmas (which was only 4-5lbs, so not bad). But I have set a goal of losing 40lbs by my Birthday (that's 5 months away, so less than 10lbs a month).

4. Work on the house. With the exception of drastically expanding on my gallery wall (which, for months only had 3 pictures!), we haven't done anything. Part of that is because my husband has been in the process of switching his weekend rotation and has therefore worked more weekends than usual - leaving little time to do anything. Add to that the fact that I was sick for a week with Strep, and both kids were throwing up, and we've had at least one snow storm.....there hasn't been much time or opportunity to get stuff done. Although, we did redo C's closet a little - took out a shelf and added a rod so we could organize his clothing. (this meant finding a new home for the dishes that were in his closet from when it was the dining room closet).

5. Purge, purge, purge! I have gone through both kids' closets and pulled out what doesn't fit.....but that's as far as I got. I haven't actually purged anything yet. Though I am feeling some very strong motivation to do so very soon - my head and life feels cluttered and I need to declutter my home so my head and life are less cluttered. Make sense?

6. Work my Epicure business more - it's me time, I enjoy doing it, and it's extra money to help pay off debts. I haven't done much in this area yet - just collected a few orders in January but haven't tried hard to set up any parties etc.

7. Get on an even better budget, so we can pay off more of our debt, and get closer to reaching our goal of debt free. I would love to pay off one major debt by the end of the year. I kind of have my head in the sand with this one right now. Well, not really, but things are already tight, so I don't really have much desire to make things even tighter. But, we are rounding our pay cheques down in our budget lines, and saving the "overage" so we can have a bit of a cushion.

8. Do more family outings - hopefully free, or for little money. We haven't done this yet....for the same reasons as not doing anything to the house yet. We've all been sick and hubby has been working more weekends than usual while adjusting his rotation.

9. Finish Miss P's quilt I should've added other sewing to this - I have so many dress patterns and beautiful fabric. But with nowhere to set up my sewing permanently, I have to be in the mood - because it involves dragging everything out of the basement to the dining room, and packing it all up for meals etc. Not easy to do with something as big as a quilt!

10. Blog more HaHa - obviously, this hasn't happened yet, since this is my first post in 3+ weeks!

11. Cook more - we have fallen into a rut lately with dinners. I need to pull out the cookbooks and start trying some new recipes. Yes! Have been experimenting and making a few new things here and there.

12. Read more. This also falls into me time, but I haven't been reading much for the past year. I would like to try to read one book a month...I got two for Christmas so I have no reason to not get started on this now. Finished one book so far - Tori Spelling's Spelling it Like it is!

And my biggest one, to make a baker's dozen:

13. Be present in life - be in the moment, worry less, stress less, and have less distraction. Put the cell phone down, turn off the TV and computer, and be present in my family's life - be focused and enjoy the small things. Don't take any of it for granted. A work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment